Route:

  • 1.

    Windrush Square

    Walk on into Windrush Square , created to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the arrival of SS Windrush from the Caribbean in 1948 with 492 West Indians on board. The Square was named in recognition of the contribution of the AfroCarribean Community to Brixton. There is an old-fashioned Bovril advertisement painted on the side of a building to the east of the Square
  • 2.

    Brixton Tate Library

    Start at Tate Library , built in 1892 in the Victorian Classical style. It was funded by Henry Tate of Tate & Lyle, the sugar merchants, who invented the sugar cube, you can find his bust in front of the Library. By the library is the Sharpeville Monument. It was built to commemorate black people killed on the 21 March 1960 when police opened fire on a peaceful protest in the South African township of Sharpeville.
  • 3.

    The Budd Memorial

    The Budd Memorial, Brixton, London SW2 1ND
    Cross Effra Road and turn right toward the junction and the Budd Memorial . This was erected in 1825 by Henry Budd in memory of his father Richard Budd, ‘a respected parent’, who was born in Brixton in 1748. Can you find the serpent eating its tail? This is a symbol for eternal life.
  • 4.

    Lambeth Town Hall

    Lambeth Town Hall, Brixton Hill, SW2 1JF
    On the corner of Acre Lane is Lambeth Town Hall. After the Metropolitan Borough of Lambeth was formed in 1900, it was soon realised that the old Town Hall at Kennington Green was no longer adequate to deal with the greatly increased responsibility of the new borough. The council decided to build a new town hall, more suitable for its needs and more centrally placed.
    The present site in Brixton was acquired and in 1905 an architectural competition for the new building was held which attracted 143 entries. Two young architects, Mr Septimus Warwick, ARIBA and Mr Herbert Hall, ARIBA submitted the winning design. The foundation stone was laid on 21 July 1906, and the building was officially opened by King George V and Queen Mary (then Prince and Princess of Wales) on the 29 April, 1908. The total cost of the building was £48,000. The tower of the Town Hall stands 134 feet high and houses an illuminated clock which strikes the hour and chimes the quarters and a stone table on the outside wall fronting Brixton Hill commemorates the names of 22 members of the council staff who died during the First World War.
Share: